Monday, October 6, 2008

1. How do you feel simplicity/complexity contributes to Visceral Design, Behavioral Design, and Reflective Design?
I think that simplicity and complexity contribute to all aspects of design and how they appeal to people. Visceral design and behavioral design are most dependent on simplicity, since visceral design appeals to our basic instincts, and behavioral design is all about usage which is highly tied into simplicity.
2. Find ideas from two of your classmates' blogs that could be combined to make an interesting observation about design. Copy the relevant passages and explain how they relate to the point.

"Upon reflecting on several technological purchases made over the years, I can say without trepidation that the determining factors in many of these purchases centered on whichever device was most complex and feature-rich." 
- Javin

"When I bought my phone, complexity made it much more desirable for me. I chose the phone that I have now because of all the features that it has. Even though I do not use all of the features, I bought the phone because I have the option to use them."
- Ronnie

I chose these two posts from Javin and Ronnie's blogs because they highlight an interesting trend in purchases. When it comes to technology, people associate more functions with a better product. Also, more functions usually equate with more money spent, and influence the reflective design aspect- "Look at my [phone, pda, camera, tv, etc.] it has so many cool functions, it was expensive, I am rich, don't you want what I have/ be with me?". This is not necessarily true, but we have been taught to think so, so much so that it has become an inherited instinct, and we think of it as visceral design.

No comments: