Thursday, October 2, 2008

1. Can you think of something that you bought, or wanted to buy, where complexity made it more desirable?
Yes, although it's kind of a silly example. Back in 9th grade when I needed to buy a graphing calculator there were two options, the regular TI-83 plus, and the TI-83 plus silver edition. The silver edition had more options and functions, and even though all I needed were the basic functions on the regular model, I still remember wanting the more expensive silver edition. Thank God mom said no.
2. When do you think complexity is justified? When is simplicity most important?
I think that complexity is justified when an object needs more functions, like in an airplane cockpit, and simplicity is most important in objects used on a daily basis, like washing machines and other appliances.
3. Select a brief passage from one of your classmate's blogs and post it to your blog. (It can relate to any dimension of design, not just simplicity.) Explain why you thought it was interesting.
"Electronics, especially computers, have about over one hundred uses and you need to have a little bit of experience before you use them. I remember my first time using a computer. I had to type an essay and I didn’t know how to get to the Microsoft word. I didn’t know anything about having to type the letters, the use of a space bar, backspace, capitalizing letters, and using symbols and punctuations. My friend had to sit with me and tell me what to do. But, because they are so useful and necessary, it is understandable for them to be complex."
-Maureen
I think that this example is a great one, because computers fall into both categories-- we use them everyday, so they must be simple, but computers are very complicated and highly developed machines. I too had a similar experience as Maureen, and I had forgotten about the first time I used one until I read her post!

No comments: