Sunday, September 21, 2008

Response to "The Perfect Thing" by Steven Levy:

1. What elements of the design process does this article illustrate?
This article illustrates most of the basic elements of the design process. The iPod went through many stages of research, analysis, trial, and evaluation, until a final product was selected. It talked about the lengthy process of designing the iPod's hardwear, softwear, and it's exterior, and how each part underwent many trials and tests before it was approved for production.
2. What factors would you use to evaluate a "perfect thing"?
I think that it is impossible to create a "perfect thing", but if I were to evaluate a potential one, I would do so using a trial and error system where all aspects of the product could be tested. A "perfect thing" would be held to a standard where its form and function blended perfectly and it was flawless in how it worked and how it looked.
3. Whether you own and iPod or not, you probably have some opinions of this product. what do you feel are its strengths and weaknesses?
I do in fact own an iPod. I have the 1st generation 32 GB iPod touch, and currently I am upset over the fact that it's only about 3 1/2 months old and already obsolete...thanks Apple. Despite the fact that its no longer the newest and coolest (or rather "funnest") iPod on the block, I think it's pretty darn cool. I absolutely love the touchscreen, accelerometer, internet ability, itunes button, and all the applications and games. It's wonderful, and has many strengths. I do think it has a weak battery ( I understand it is a highly functioning piece of technology), and I would like external speakers, a built in camera, and more memory. Maybe I should just buy an iPhone...?

No comments: